We understand that an enquiry by or dispute with the MRA can be stressful and time-consuming for our clients. We also respect the MRA’s rights and in our experience, the cooperative approach often yields most success for all parties.
Our assistance ranges from liaising with the MRA directly in respect of information request to attending meetings with or without our clients to explain technical or factual matters. As part of our work, we will review any relevant tax issues and address any concerns with our clients.
We also help clients who have irregularities in their tax affairs and wish to come forward voluntarily to redress their tax affairs. We advise on the best means of approaching the MRA including the availability of entering voluntary tax disclosure schemes. At present the MRA offers the following schemes:
- Voluntary Disclosure Scheme for Small and Medium Enterprises
- Voluntary Disclosure Incentive Scheme
If a dispute with the MRA cannot be resolved satisfactorily, we can assist you with the Expeditious Dispute Resolution Tax Scheme. We also offer assistance, including representation, under the Alternative Tax Dispute Resolution process.
Our services to clients at the Assessment Review Committee (“ARC”) stage ranges from drafting the statement of case to assisting legal counsel during the case hearing at ARC.
Summary of tax litigation services
- Representing clients during tax audits and tax assessments by the MRA from the initial enquiry stage to discussions with the Objection, Appeals and Dispute Resolution department of the MRA.
- Assisting clients with voluntary disclosures under tax schemes.
- Preparation of information and representation under the Alternative Tax Dispute Resolution process.
- Calculating settlement proposals, advising clients on options and negotiating with the MRA for an optimal outcome.
- Preparation of a Statement of Case for the Assessment Review Committee.
- Assisting legal counsel on representations at the Assessment Review Committee.